Thursday 12 August 2010

Suped-up John Deere runs on alcohol

Waverly's Bremer County fair saw an interesting sight this year; a suped-up John Deere tractor. John Storjohann's tractor looks like John Deere 4560, a 1980's made diesel model. However, Storjohann has tinkered with his vehicle, creating a tractor that has a 6-cylinder engine that is triple turbo charged and runs on burning alcohol, delivering 2500 hp. ITs power is such that it can tow a sled, weighing 40,000 lbs., over 300 feet per 10 seconds.

John Strojohann is a retired John Deere engineer, and he hasn't been able to leave his love of engineering behind him; in fact, for him, its the ideal hobby, saying, You meet a lot of good folks and I love the technical challenge.

He goes on to say, I made my living working on diesel engines. I had enough grease, dirt and soot thrown on me. I want to play with alcohol.

For more than three decades he headed the Applied Mechanics Department, designing and redesigning, ironing out problems. Discussing his new hobby, he says, It was curiosity more than anything. I designed it. I built it. I paid for it. Now, I'm going to drive it. If your tires get a bite, it will put your fanny in the seat.

Soon Storjohann had earned a reputation within the National Tractor Pullers Association, and began to be wary of his creations, with fellow competitor Gary Wipf saying, I'd say Don has one of the best put together super stocks out there.

Storjohann's vehicle is called Just Off Warranty, and he built it from scratch, using his 32 years of experience working for farm trader John Deere, as well as his Master's degree in Engineering. The fuel system was designed completely by him, and he says, I have a complete mathematical model of my fuel system in my head. You could steal it and I could build another one.

Unfortunately, at the fair, Storjohann could only come fifth in the competition that he won in 2008. My turbos wouldn't come up on me, he said, Now I have data and know what to look for, and we'll try it again.

Gary Wipf pulled 317 feet in 10 seconds to take the first prize. However, the loss has not dented 72 year old Storjohann's enthusiasm for tractor pulling, and is supported by his family and circle of friends. He goes to up to 20 events during the pull season, and he is assisted by Eleanor, his wife, and also his nephews, cousins and sundry other relatives.

This is our together time, says Eleanor, I helped him put it (tractor) together. I know every nut and bolt in that thing.

Often up to 60 memebers of the family will be supporting StorJohann at a given event, with his brother in law Butch Franzen saying, It's wonderful with all the family. It keeps us close.

Storjohann spends a lot on his hobby, with each event costing around $2000, although his vehicle is worth at least $100,000. Storjohann is unrepentant, saying, John Deere gave me the best job in the world, making an excellent living. I worked damn hard for it. I'm going to spend it ... you can't take it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment